Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Vegan MoFo Day 7: Veggie Soup

I made veggie soup tonight. It was great! Here's my "recipe"

Carrots
Celery
Onions
Potatoes
Canned stewed tomatoes (chopped in the food processor)
Red beans (which I would omit next time)
Garlic
Veggie broth
Thyme
Sage
Salt

I made enough soup to feed a small army (which is typical when I make soup) but it took FOREVER! I think I chopped veggies for 2 hours. OK, I'm sure I'm exaggerating, but it felt like AT least 2 hours. Then it cooked for 3 or more hours. It seriously took me 5 hours from the first veggie to dinner time.

So here's what I learned:
1. Don't make soup on days when you've banned the TV from your small child. (My daughter's 3 1/2...it was difficult)
2. Soup takes a long time...plan accordingly
3. Red beans do funny things when they're simmered for 3 hours
4. There's no such thing as too much garlic
5. Biscuits are REALLY good with soup. Try these http://popvegonline.com/blog/?cat=24 (Thanks PopVegOnline! You ROCK!!)

So what do you put in your veggie soup?

Happy Eating



No comments:

Post a Comment