Sunday, October 18, 2009

Tater Tot Casserole (that hubby will eat)


OK, so this isn't the healthiest meal in the world, but it's tasty and my hubby eats it, so that's a bonus for me. There are healthier variations that I'm working on and I'll post them as I try them...well maybe I'll post them as I think of them and you can post how they turn out when YOU try them. :)


Ingredients:

Fantastic World Foods Sloppy Joe mix
1 can of tomatoes
1 carrot (shredded)
½ onion (diced)
1 batch of Cheeze sauce
Tater tots (actually I use Tater Rounds – they’re like smooched tater tots)

Method:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Puree the tomatoes in the blender (I do this because my family doesn’t like chunks of tomatoes. If your family doesn’t mind chunks, skip this step)
Put tomatoes, onion, carrot, and package of Sloppy Joe in pan and simmer.
In a saucepan make the cheeze saucePut the “sloppy joe” in a 8inx8in dish, cover with cheeze, top with tater tots.

Bake for 20-30 mins until tots are cooked and cheeze is slightly browned.


My thoughts for making it healthier.

1. Make your own sloppy joe instead of using the box mix. I think I've made it with TVP and that's pretty good.

2. Use shredded hashbrowns or shredded potatoes and mix everything together before baking it.

3. Add in more veggies

4. Use lentils instead of the sloppy joe (not sure about this one, but I really want to play with lentils, tomatoes, onions, potatoes, and cheeze...)

No comments:

Post a Comment