Thursday, October 8, 2009

Veagn MoFo Day 8: "Sausage gravy" w/biscuits



In case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm a HUGE fan of Patrick at PopVegOnline! Yesterday he posted a recipe for biscuits and talked about having vegan sausage biscuits (http://popvegonline.com/blog/?p=376) and it inspired me. My mom used to make sausage gravy every once in a while and it was so good. I decided I could make a vegan version and I did!

For the gravy I used Morning Star Farms Meal starter sausage-style crumbles (don't use the patties or the links, they've got milk and eggs in them), soy milk and flour. I cooked the crumbles in some oil, then added enough soy milk to cover them. I sprinkled in some flour and simmered while the biscuits were cooking. It turned out great! I think meat eaters might be able to taste the soy milk, but I don't mind the soy milk flavor.

Happy Eating!!

2 comments:

  1. mmm... sausage gravy <3 I've been known to use "beaf" or "chickn'ish" broth and mushrooms with soy milk to make gravy too - I love hash browns and gravy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds good Cathy...I might have to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete