Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Veggie Munchkin

I've been doing an experiment with my daughter over the last few weeks. I have replaced her meat at lunch time, with other sources of protein, peanut butter, yogurt, protein rich veggies, and some mock meats (mostly home made seitan) and I have noticed some really cool things. The first thing I've noticed is that she's eating MORE! She's always been a really picky eater and she's never really eaten that much. She's always been healthy and strong so I've never really worried about it, but she could go days at a time without eating much at all. Now, she eats and eats and eats and it's all healthy! The second thing I've noticed is that she seems more energetic. She's 3, so it's not like there's ever been a LACK of energy, she just seems to have more positive energy. We've been working on more than just eating, we've also been working on watching less TV and spending less time playing Dora on the Wii, so maybe that's part of it, but she's doing an awesome job playing and entertaining herself.

OK, I know this isn't really anything that any one else is concerned with but it's exciting to me to see my daughter start making healthy choices regarding food. It took me many years to figure out how to make good food choices and the benefits of making good food choices. I hope to give her something that I didn't have growing up. I want her to embrace trying new foods and I want her to view food as something that nourishes her body, not something that eases pain. I hope that I can learn those things too so she can see me living my life as a healthy example to her!

Happy Eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment