Monday, January 25, 2010

Ah-ha Moment

This weekend I had an Ah-Ha moment while trying to plan our meals for the week. I'm trying really hard this year to be more organized than in years past. I've come up with a new daily and weekly schedule to help me keep my house clean and somewhat organized (I do have a 3 1/2 year old, so total organization is beyond my grasp and I'm OK with that) and it's been very helpful. The kitchen hasn't devolved into utter disarray yet, and the table, which is typically our catch all, has been cleaner than it used to be. (Still not perfect, but a HUGE improvement) So this weekend, I decided that it was time for me to come up with some sort of system that would make preparing a weekly menu and grocery list less dreadful. I love cooking and I enjoy going to the store (I go alone and it's glorious), but I have always HATED making the list and menu. I decided to do something about it. I talked to my wonderful hubby and told him that I needed an hour or so a week to figure out our food stuff. He said that was fine, so we made a schedule for when to do it. (Which is much easier than trying to do it while I have a 3 1/2 year old running around like a mad child) I also sat down and made a list of all the meals that we (all three of us) really like, then I made a list for me, and one for hubby. I also made a list of recipes that I want to try (which is extensive) and I have it broken down into things I think he'd like and things just for me (he's working on a list of things that he wants to try on his own too). I also found a template that has breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack in a nifty little chart - that looks nice. I've decided to start planning 2 weeks at a time and work my way up to a month at a time. I don't see me ever going past a month, but I guess it could happen. I'm also going to commit to trying something new at LEAST once a week. Some weeks might have 2 or 3 new things (depending on what I run into and how adventurous I'm feeling)! Now all I have to do is figure out coupons and how to save $100 a month and I'll be set!! :)

Let me ask you this, how do you plan meals? How far in advance do you plan? Do you have a wonderful system for couponing or saving money that you'd like to share?

Happy Eating!! (And Planning)

1 comment:

  1. I plan a month at a time (dinners only). I hate the actual planning part but I'm so happy during the week when I don't have to think about what to fix. I also do some ahead prep a couple of times a month (i.e. chopping up a bunch of onions, mushrooms, etc. and freezing them for later). That speeds up the everyday cooking process, too.

    ReplyDelete