Friday, November 6, 2009

Vegan Week Update

As you may know, it's been vegan week in our house this week. It's been a struggle to say the least. Hubby has been doing a great job not "cheating." Munchkin on the other hand has been more difficult, so we've made it vegetarian week for her. She hasn't had any meat, but she has had some things with milk and a little bit of honey. She refused to drink the chocolate soy milk after awhile, so we bought some cow's milk and I'm adding soy milk to it. My hope is that we will eventually be able to get her on soy milk all the time. The long term seems more important than the week. I would rather her have a gradual change that sticks than a week without "cheating" where she learns to hate all things vegan! Here are the things we're still struggling with. Waffles - munchkin eats a wholegrain waffle every morning and the ones without milk are REALLY expensive. Milk-which I've already talked about, and Protein. Munchkin is really picky about what she'll eat and right now she won't eat much vegan protein. She'll eat peanut butter and corn (which is really high in protein) but she won't eat much else that I know has protein. Here's a list of things munchkin will eat (maybe you can help me figure out vegan alternatives or ways to expand her horizons).
Chicken, hot dogs, rice (brown or white), broccoli, corn, carrots, pretty much all fruit, spinach if it's hidden in something, spaghetti (all pasta), tomato sauce (not tomatoes, just the sauce), a few leafy greens (she'll eat almost all of them but only a bite or 2), artichoke hearts, candy and chips. I think that about sums her up.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. I'll try to keep you posted on how we're doing as moving towards a more vegan diet. :)

Happy Eating!

3 comments:

  1. Joanna makes a pretty mean recipe for vegan chik'n nuggets! www.joannavaught.com and look under recipes. And good for you for moving towards a vegan diet! Have you tried making waffles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll check out Joanna's site. We need a vegan chik'n nugget recipe! I've been vegan for almost 2 years, just working on getting my family to join me. Hubby's coming a long nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen Vegan Dad's blog? He's got plenty of great recipes for kids and a delicious high protein vegan mac n cheese.
    http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/06/creamy-mac-and-cheeze.html

    ReplyDelete