Friday, November 13, 2009

Smoothies!

I've been into smoothies this week. I can't seem to get enough of them. I had one for breakfast the last 2 mornings and I'm having another one for lunch! They're so tasty and versatile. Here is what I've tried and what I think about them. :)

Green Smoothie (First try)
red kale, pineapple, and banana Was good, but was kind of bitter (especially if you chewed on the pulp). Munchkin liked it!

Green Smoothie (Take 2)
red kale (I don't have any other leafy greens in my house right now), pineapple, banana, apple juice, apple, and carrot. This one was much better then the first one. I used a little less kale and the addition of the apple and apple juice made it a bit sweeter. Also, the bananas had time to ripen a little more. Again, munchkin LOVED it and she kept asking for more! (She ate more than I did!!)

Orange Smoothie
Carrot, pineapple (I used canned pineapple for all of them. It's what I had in my house and it seems to work), banana, apple and flax seed, oh and some apple juice (it was REALLY thick and I wanted it a bit thinner). This one is by far my favorite! I'm not a huge fan of kale and I think the red kale might be a bit more bitter than other kales.
I need to keep experimenting with the leafy greens. I also want to try adding some protein. Maybe almonds? Oh, I could make some almond milk and add the pulp into the smoothie. That would be delish! If you can't tell I'm very excited about smoothies. They're like the perfect food!
So what is your favorite smoothie? I would love to hear your ideas!

Happy Eating (and Drinking!)

1 comment:

  1. How funny! I have just started to get my family into green smoothies this week!
    I've sort of found a formula that seems to work:
    50% green leafies
    50% fruit
    then I add water and ice, cacao powder, freshly ground flaxseed/LSA/almonds, flaxseed oil, goji berries,etc etc in any combination I feel like.

    Sooo delicious. I have been making one for the kids when they get home from school (and me). They usually want to eat everything at this time and I have found the smoothies are perfect to tie them over until dinner. And I'm really happy in the fact that they have gotten some extra green leafy veges into them too!

    Tahn

    ReplyDelete