Friday, July 24, 2009

Guilty?

Let me start with a little background. I'm a vegan mom married to a meat eating man, raising a meat eating daughter. Recently I've been thinking/researching/learning, a great deal about the health benefits of being vegan, and finding out that they are numerous. I had no idea that being vegan was so healthy. I just knew that treating animals the way that factory farmers treat them, wasn't something I was willing to support. I was a vegetarian when I met my husband 6 years ago, but I wasn't an advocate. Things are starting to change. I'm starting to change. I see the health benefits of being vegan. I know what it's done for me, both physically and emotionally, and I want my family to convert. I feel as if I've failed my daughter (who is 3 years old) by feeding her the garbage that she eats. She loves hot dogs and chicken sandwiches. (I know, I already said I feel horrible, stop looking at me like that :-)). I'm supposed to do what's best for her, but what do I do when what I know is best isn't accepted by my husband and her father as being the best? I'm working really hard on making vegan meals my whole family will eat and enjoy. I've even gone back to "fake meats" to fill in for my husband. I just feel guilty knowing that I have been feeding (and am continuing to feed) my daughter animal products.
I think maybe I can eventually convert them both...with time and patience (which I don't have an abundant supply of). I'll be posting updates. If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

UPDATE: Tonight for dinner, my 3 year old ate a vegan hot dog. I know it's not the best, but it's better then a regular one! Maybe we're taking positive steps towards becoming a vegan household! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment