Monday, January 10, 2011

Cacciatore Noodles

This recipe is from Vegan on the Cheap, but I got rid of 2 ingredients, added a third and didn't follow any of the directions. I will say that you should go buy Vegan on the Cheap right this second. It's AMAZING!!

Ingredients:
Fettuccine (As much as you want to feed your people)
Olive oil - Enough to keep things from sticking in the skillet (You can use water if you're into fat free cooking)
Seitan cut into tiny pieces - About 1 1/2 cups
Onion - about 1/2 cup
Garlic - as much as you can stand (I used 7 small cloves and could have gone for more)
Dried basil - the recipe called for 1 tsp, I think next time I'll use 1 1/2 tsp
Dried Oregano - the recipe called for 1/2 tsp, next time I'll use more (1 tsp)
Dried Marjoram - about 1/2 tsp
Sugar - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Pepper - to taste
Canned crushed tomatoes - 1 (28-ounce) can
Canned Petite Diced tomatoes - 1 (14.5 ounce) can

Directions:
Cook the Fettuccine in a large pot.
In another large pot, heat the oil (if using) and cook the onions over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and cook a until fragrant. Add seitan, tomatoes, spices and sugar and cook until heated through.
Serve spooned over the fettuccine.

The original recipe called for green bell peppers and mushrooms. We don't really like bell peppers and I had mushrooms that I forgot to add. Oops! I'm sure it would be good with the mushrooms, but it was pretty good without too. Meat man and I both thought it could use more spice, so taste and adjust as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment